Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Balsamic Fontina Chicken

Several years ago, Olive Garden offered this dish on the menu for several months and my husband and I loved it. We were so sad when it was taken off the menu and have been waiting for it to come back, to no avail. The other day, it finally dawned on me that I could recreate it at home.


It turned out pretty fantastic, if I do say so myself. And even though it wasn't technically a light meal, I felt better eating it at home where I served fresh produce on the side instead of fattening breadsticks and salad.

printable recipe
Balsamic Fontina Chicken

serves 4

1 package refrigerated cheese-stuffed tortellini
4 chicken breasts
Italian dressing (we like Good Seasons)
8 oz Balsamic Vinegar
2 tsp brown sugar
4 oz fontina cheese, sliced thinly
freshly grated parmesan cheese
fresh ground pepper

Marinate the chicken breasts for several hours in the Italian dressing. Cook the chicken on the grill over medium heat until cooked through. Remove to a plate, arrange cheese slices on top, and cover with foil for 5-10 minutes.



While the chicken is sitting, cook the tortellini according to package directions. Drain and divide into 4 serving plates or bowls.





While tortellini is cooking, pour the balsamic into a large skillet and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add brown sugar and cook and stir for several minutes, until the liquid is reduced into more of a pourable sauce.


Place chicken breasts on tortellini and drizzle the balsamic reduction over each breast.


Garnish with parmesan and black pepper and serve!

Miz Helen’s Country Cottage

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, yummy! I never had it at Olive Garden, but your version looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a huge fan of chicken with cheese, or pasta to be honest, but I'm a HUGE fan of chicken and balsamic (actually balsamic and almost anything)!!! Also love a good recipe reproduction! One that I have not been able to get quite right is Panera's Broccoli and Cheese soup, fell in love in the US, not been able to get it right back home! Grrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Yum! Your Balsamic Fontina Chicken looks delicious and I sure want to give it a try. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete