Friday, December 24, 2010

Peanut Butter Blossoms

This is a great recipe, straight from the Hershey's website. These were my favorite holiday cookies growing up. I remember I had to eat the cookie all around the Hershey's Kiss, then finish with the chocolate. I was a strange child.

Now that I am a mature, somewhat normal adult, I have re-discovered my love for these cookies. They are especially fun to make with kids, and one of the few cookie recipes that I have found that don't have to be adjusted for high-altitude, at least here in the Mile High City.



Hershey's Peanut Butter Blossoms
 
48 HERSHEY'S KISSES Brand Milk Chocolates
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup REESE'S Creamy Peanut Butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Granulated sugar



Heat oven to 375°F. Remove wrappers from chocolates.

Beat shortening and peanut butter in large bowl until well blended. Add 1/3 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into peanut butter mixture.

Pout when your mom asks you to pose next to the KitchenAid. Pretend you don't have chocolate all over your face from unwrapping eating Hersheys Kisses.








Shape dough into 1-inch balls.



Roll in granulated sugar; place on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately press a chocolate into center of each cookie; cookie will crack around edges.

I love my December Linnea Poster Calendar!









Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack or sheet of foil/parchment paper. Cool completely. The yield to the original recipe says 4 dozen, but I only get about 3 dozen.

1 comment:

  1. So simple, yet so delicious. This has always been one of my faves too. :) My job was always rolling them in the sugar!

    ReplyDelete