Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Creamy Poppyseed Chicken

There's a teeny tiny possibility that this might not be the healthiest meal I have ever prepared. You know, because of the cream of mushroom soup. And the butter. And the sour cream.

However, there is also the teeny tiny possibility fact that this is the most amazing casserole I have ever tasted. Hands down. I think this is a pretty common recipe, but the version I found on my friend Nikki's website adds a fantastic twist: carmelized onions. And that, my friends, sealed the deal for me. 

*Note: this recipe serves 6. As usual I halved the recipe since my kids maybe eat an adult-sized serving between the two of them, so the portions pictured will be smaller.


Creamy Poppyseed Chicken

printable recipe 

1 onion, sliced into thin rings
2 cups shredded, cooked chicken (I used the leftover chicken from last night's Roasted Chicken)
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
16 oz container of sour cream
1 sleeve crushed Ritz crackers
1 stick butter, melted
1 Tbsp poppy seeds



Sauté onion in a tablespoon of butter.



In a bowl, mix chicken, soup, sour cream and onions.



Mix crackers and butter in a separate bowl.



Spread chicken mixture in a casserole dish or 9x13 in pan.


Spread cracker mixture on top, sprinkle with poppy seeds and bake at 350F for 30 minutes.



Serve over rice. 

Umm, yes, that is a bowl of fruit cocktail. Don't hate.








This recipe is featured in Meal Plan: Week of December 13-19.


4 comments:

  1. Nothing says comfort like poppyseed chicken--it's not meant to be a "healthy" dish! ;) But it DOES warm your soul on those cold winter days, and I like to think that's priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I just tried this dish out last week and it was AWESOME!! I addedd your blog to my business blog AND my facebook fan page cuz I'm loving your blog that much!! Seriously! You have totally become MY COOKING HERO!!:) I usually dread that time of the week when I have to come up with a menu that I can & want to cook, not to mention budget friendly, and I always end up stumped! Your blog has become my "menu planning, grocery listing, cooking under a budget, COOKING AT ALL for dummies" book!! Except I don't feel like such a "dummy" in the kitchen anymore!!! THANKS FOR COMING TO MY RESCUE!!!;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make it using cream of chicken instead of cream of mushroom so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this cassorole because my grandmother gave me her version. I use 1 can of cream of chicken soup, 1 8oz tub of low fat sour cream with 1 chicken breast. I do not do onions. I brown the chicken first and put it in a 8x8 pan. I then mix the sour cream and cream of chicken together and spread over the chicken. I use on sleeve of crushed ritz crackers and 2 tblsp of melted butter mixed with the crumbs. I put it over the top of the cassorle and bake on 350 for 25 minutes. It always is a favorite in our house. I halfed the receipe because it is just my husband and I. Love it.

    ReplyDelete