Friday, April 8, 2011

No Fail French Bread

Yesterday afternoon I invited my dear friend Melanie and her darling 6 month old daughter, Summer, over to make dinner. Our menu included:



No Fail French Bread


 and, as I mentioned in yesterday's post



We had so much fun cooking together. Between the two of us we had all of the ingredients except for the kale, so it was a great money-saver. When we were done cooking, we divided up the food and she left with plenty of soup for her family, a loaf of french bread, and several slices of cake. I discovered I love cooking even more when I am cooking with a friend.

I want to share this amazing french bread recipe with you. I have attempted to make homemade french bread before, and it has never turned out. So when I saw a recipe for "No Fail" French Bread on my friend Rachel's blog, I knew I had to try it out. True to it's name, the bread turned out perfect on our first try.

By the way, if you have a minute, check out Rachel's awesome blog: Family Ever After, she has it all: recipes, craft ideas, great pictures and funny stories. I love it!

printable recipe
No Fail French Bread

1/2 cup warm water
2 TB yeast
Mix and dissolve.

2 cups hot water
3 TB sugar
1 TB salt
1/3 cup oil
Put in mixer, dissolve.

Add yeast mixture and 3 cups flour. Beat well.
Add 3 more cups flour. Beat well to form a soft dough. Don't worry if the dough is more soft than normal bread dough.
Let rest 10 minutes. Stir batter down, let rest 10 minutes. Repeat process of stirring dough, followed by 10 minutes of rest until it has been done a total of 5 times.

Turn dough onto floured board and knead only enough to coat dough with flour.
Divide into 2 portions. Toll each portion into a 9x12 inch rectangle. 
Roll up jelly roll style, omitting the air bubbles. Arrange lengthwise on a greased cookie sheet. 
Brush tops with a beaten egg while (optional). Slash 3 times diagonally on each loaf. 
Cover, let rise until doubles, about 30 min. 
Bake at 400 for 35 min.


5 comments:

  1. Drooling over the bread and cake. I just love a good home made bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the bread! And great picture tutorial! Looks awesome. Thanks for the little shout-out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog and I love your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, musicmom24, I'm glad you stopped by! Rachel, thanks for the awesome recipe, I love your blog. Christina, this bread is so easy, let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried it. I loved it! Thank you! Although, I cheated and made the bread machine do the work!

    ReplyDelete