Monday, February 28, 2011

Tofu Rancheros

As my husband mentioned in his Friday blog post, I had the pleasure of having 3 wisdom teeth removed on Thursday. It was quite an interesting experience. It was my first time being put "under" and, according to the oral surgeon, they had to use 3 times the anesthesia normally given to a person of my height and weight to actually put me out. Also, when I started coming to, I was apparently giving the nurses hair-styling advice, which is quite horrifying to me considering the fact that I myself haven't had an actual "hair style" in months. I am probably the least qualified person I know to give any kind of fashion/beauty advice.

Cooking advice? Menu planning advice? That would be a little more my area, although I suppose it would have been a bit creepy had I come out of the anesthesia plugging my blog!

Anyway, as I recovered from my surgery, the plan was that my husband was to fill in on the blog. He had several dinners that he was hoping to make and blog about for me. The first was Grilled Pepperoni and Red Onion Pizza. I wish I could vouch for how good it was, but I was sticking to a diet of pudding and applesauce at the time. It smelled and looked fantastic though.

Saturday, Jared planned to cook another delicious meal and blog about it. Unfortunately, due to a very manly accident (nothing involving washing dishes), he instead sliced his hand open and had to drive himself to the Urgent Care (his wife being too loopy on Lortab to drive) to be stitched up. Needless to say, the blogging never happened. We're quite the pair, huh?

Lots of blood, stitches, and pain pills later, I'm back with a brand-new meatless meal that I think will knock your socks off.

*Note: this is a very versatile recipe, experiment with the salsa and cheese types, substitute scrambled eggs or cooked chicken chunks for the tofu, use different veggies, feel free to make it your own! Adapted from a recipe on foodnetwork.com.

printable recipe
Tofu Rancheros

serves 4

16 oz tofu (firm)
16 oz salsa (I used red, but green would work too)
8 oz cheese (cheddar if using red salsa, monterey jack if using green salsa)
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 package mushrooms, sliced
1/2 red onion, sliced
8 flour or corn tortillas, whichever you prefer



Chop your veggies and dice the tofu.

In a large skillet, heat a Tbsp canola oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, throw in the tofu and veggies.


Saute until the veggies are al dente, about 6-8 minutes.



Add the salsa.



Cook and stir until heated through.


Warm up your tortillas on a griddle or in a skillet until they just barely start to turn golden.


Top with a spoonful of the veggie mix and a handful of cheese. We added a splash of Tabasco to ours, keeping the kids' as-is.


Roll up and serve. So easy and so good!

This recipe is featured in Menu Plan 13.











3 comments:

  1. Ouch! You had one heck of a weekend, Heather. Hopefully, you both are feeling better.

    I've got to try this recipe with eggs or chicken. It looks great, and we have plenty of wonderful salsas down here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, I had no idea you have been going through all this. And no family close by to help :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are feeling better. This look really tasty. I will have to try them on one of our Meatless Mondays.

    ReplyDelete