Thursday, November 11, 2010

Beef with Snow Peas

I love this recipe. It is fast, easy, and delicious. I'm kicking myself for sending the leftovers with my hubby for lunch instead of keeping them for myself. This is a Pioneer Woman recipe. If you haven't yet discovered Pioneer Woman, you need to don't. You will never want to return to my little blog again. She really is that amazing.

Let's cook, shall we?

Beef with Snow Peas

printable recipe

Ingredients
  • 1-½ pound Flank Steak, Trimmed Of Fat And Sliced Very Thin Against The Grain, or use pre-sliced stir-fry meat from the butcher as I did.
  • ½ cups Low Sodium Soy Sauce (I used regular, turned out great but I didn't need the extra salt at the end)
  • 3 Tablespoons Sherry Or Cooking Sherry
  • 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
  • 1 Tablespoon Minced Fresh Ginger
  • 8 ounces, weight Fresh Snow Peas, Ends Trimmed
  • 5 whole Scallions, Cut Into Half-inch Pieces On The Diagonal
  • Salt As Needed (use Sparingly)
  • 3 Tablespoons Peanut Or Olive Oil
  • Crushed Red Pepper, For Sprinkling
  • Jasmine Or Long Grain Rice, Cooked According To Package


In a bowl, combine soy sauce, sherry, brown sugar, cornstarch and ginger.
Mix stir-fry meat into soy sauce mixture.
Trim the ends off snow peas. 
Slice five scallions (green onions) diagonally and set aside. 
Heat oil in a wok or skillet (I used my cast-iron skillet) over high heat. Add snow peas and stir for 45 seconds. Remove the snow peas and place half the meat mixture (leaving sauce in bowl) and half the scallions into the skillet. Let sit for a minute before flipping the meat. This will give it a nice brown color. Turn meat and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Resist the urge to stir, you can do it!

Remove first batch of meat and set aside. Place remaining meat (but not the sauce) and scallions into pan and let sit for a minute. Turn meat then add first batch of meat and sauce and stir for thirty seconds then turn off heat. 
The original recipe says to taste it and add salt as needed at this point, but I think this is only if you use low-sodium soy sauce. I used regular and it didn't need any more salt.

Serve over rice (jasmine rice would probably be best but use what you have) and sprinkle with crushed red pepper. Enjoy!


This recipe is featured in Meal Plan: November 15-21.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, this looks yummy! I like your step by step pics too =)

    ReplyDelete