Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Pepperoni and Jalapeño Deep Dish Pizza

I love making pizza for my family. Really, is there anything better than homemade pizza on a Friday night? I think not! I make a pretty mean hand-tossed crust, if I do say so myself, but when I saw Pan Pizza on my friend Julie's blog, I had to try it. Here are her pictures:

Looks tempting, doesn't it?

It had never even crossed my mind to use a cake pan for baking pizza, but it really does make a great pan pizza!

If you have a bread machine, stick around here for easy bread machine directions. Otherwise, head over to Julie's blog for the regular directions. Never fear, they are still quick and easy to follow. Don't forget to come back here though when you are ready to top the pizza.

Pepperoni and Jalapeño Deep Dish Pizza

printable recipe 

Place ingredients in bread machine in this order:
2 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp milk (7 oz.)
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp yeast


Turn bread machine on dough setting. When the cycle is over, follow these directions from Julie's blog (I added some pictures):




To shape and top the dough: Transfer dough to lightly floured counter, divide in half, and lightly roll each half into ball. Working with 1 dough ball at a time, roll and shape dough into 9 1/2-inch round and press into oiled pan. Cover with plastic wrap and set in warm spot (not in oven) until puffy and slightly risen, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oven to 400 degrees.


Julie's tip for ensuring crisp pepperoni:
While dough rises, put half of pepperoni in single layer on microwave-safe plate lined with 2 paper towels. Cover with 2 more paper towels and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Discard towels and set pepperoni aside; repeat with new paper towels and remaining pepperoni.

Okay, now we're ready to top the pizza. Remove plastic wrap from dough.


Spread tomato sauce over dough almost to edges and sprinkle with italian seasoning.



Top each with 1 cup mozzarella and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.



Place jalapeño on the pizza. I only put it on half of this pizza to keep it kid-friendly.



Top with already-prepped pepperoni.

Bake until cheese is melted and pepperoni is browning around edges, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven; let pizzas rest in pans for 1 minute. Using spatula, transfer pizzas to cutting board and cut each into 8 wedges. Serve.


This recipe is featured in Meal Plan: November 15-21.

1 comment:

  1. Just looking at your pizza makes my mouth water. I wish I had a bread maker, your pizza looks crispy and puffy, and delicious!

    ReplyDelete