Monday, November 15, 2010

Chicken and Rice Bake


When my son was born we received dinners from the generous ladies in our church and 4 of the 5 meals brought were variations of this dish! I'm not going to lie, we were a little bit relieved when the fifth and final meal was pizza, but this just shows how popular this dinner is. Here is my take on this comfort classic, enjoy!

Chicken and Rice Bake

printable recipe

1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can water
3/4 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 ground black pepper
2 Tbsp canola oil
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 1 lb)
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 375F. In a 2 quart baking dish combine soup, water, rice, paprika and pepper.

Rinse and trim fat off chicken. Season with salt and pepper. I like to cut the chicken into serving size pieces. *Note: I only used one chicken breast in this picture as it was just my kids and I eating.

In a skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Place chicken in skillet.

Sear until slightly browned, a minute or two on each side.

Place chicken on top of rice mixture in dish.

Season with additional paprika and pepper. Bake covered at 375F for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and rice is tender.

I usually find that the rice is a bit crunchy still on the edges while there is extra liquid in the middle, so when I pull it out of the oven I like to stir the rice up and replace the lid for an extra five minutes. The rice will soften and it will still be plenty hot for serving.

This recipe is featured in Meal Plan: November 15-21.


Simple yet satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment