Monday, January 10, 2011

Cheesy Baked Grits

Here it is, friends: Southern comfort food at its finest. My aunt shared this recipe with me (you can check out more of her recipes at Judy's Traditional Cooking) and I am in love! In fact, I just remembered I have some leftovers in the fridge, I'm off to heat those up! While I do that, check out the recipe:


*Note: I served these with Cornflake Chicken which was a yummy combo, but it can get a bit tricky to bake these both if you don't have two ovens. What I did was bake the grits first, 50 minutes at 275 covered then uncovered for about 5-7 minutes while the oven heated up to 400F. Pull the grits out of the oven and slide the chicken in. If you cover the grits back up they will stay plenty hot while the chicken bakes!

printable recipe

Cheesy Baked Grits
serves 4

2 cups water
1/2 cup grits
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp butter
3 drops Tabasco
1 egg, beaten
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the grits and salt. Bring back to a boil and cook for a minute or two. This will splatter, so use a hot mitt!


Remove from heat and whisk in the butter and Tabasco sauce.


Pour in egg while beating with whisk. Mix it in fast so the egg doesn't cook. We don't want chunks of scrambled egg in our grits!



Add the cheddar and whisk until smooth.


Pour into an 8x8 casserole dish, or I used my rectangular Corningware dish again. It gets a lot of use in my house!


Cover the dish with a lid or foil. Bake at 275 for 50 minutes, then remove cover and bake for another 10 minutes.







Serve with your choice of entree, I recommend Cornflake Chicken.


This recipe is featured in Menu Plan 7.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, cheese grits...definitely the best way to eat them! Sometimes I sprinkle some jalapeno and Monterey jack in it for a kick. Either way, you can't go wrong. :)

    And I'm in deep like with your Corningware dish! I need to get myself one of those...

    ReplyDelete