Monday, January 31, 2011

Introducing: The Girly Girl!

Today I would like to introduce my guest blogger, Haley from The Girly Girl Cooks! She has an awesome cooking blog, and a light-hearted spirit that make her posts a joy to read. I also love her because she is from Montana, which is where I grew up. Here she is in her own words:

Hello!
 
My name is Haley from The Girly Girl Cooks!

My cooking blog is about my first year of living off campus while attending college at the University of Montana. I'm teaching myself to become a Home Cook Extraordinaire in my new apartment, while winning my boyfriend's heart through his stomach. I was inspired to learn how to cook when my mom gave me Ree Drummond's cookbook, The Pioneer Woman Cooks, for Easter last year. Since then I have been cooking up a storm and enjoying every moment of it!

I've been told that my recipes are "so deliciously American" and I have to agree! I love cooking everything and anything, but my favorite recipes are the classic comfort foods! I want to thank Heather of The Menu Mama (whose blog I love), for asking me to write this guest post, I am so honored!

One of my favorite places to go out to lunch with my boyfriend is at the restaurant, The Old Post. It's just a little hole in the wall, local pub that has the feel of 'old Missoula'. I love it! They have the most unique and delicious menu.  

One of my favorite lunches is their bowl of Chili (only $2.95!!!) with their homemade Jalapeno Corn Muffins. I love this twist on corn muffins and decided to recreate their muffins but also adding my own twist to the recipe!

These muffins go perfect with any Mexican or hearty dish, but today we are serving them with Cheesy Green Chile Chicken.


Cheesy Green Chile Chicken is perfect for a busy weeknight. 5 ingredients and simple steps to complete a delicious and fast dish!


Cheesy Green Chile Chicken

Here is what you are going to need for 4 people:

-4 skinless chicken thighs (with or without bones, doesn't matter)
-1 tbsp Lime Juice
-2 tsp Taco Seasoning
-4 canned Whole Green Chiles
-4 oz Fresh Mozzarella

First preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

Then place the chicken thighs into an 8x8 baking dish.


Add the lime juice evenly over the chicken thighs.

Then sprinkle evenly 2 tsp of Taco Seasoning over top of the chicken thighs.



Cut the whole green chiles lengthwise, but only on one side (butterfly cut) and lay them over top of each chicken thigh.


Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the foil, add 1 oz slices of fresh mozzarella on top of each chicken thigh and bake for 5 more minutes or until the cheese melts.

To serve, spoon 3 tbsp of broth over the chicken and serve with Zesty Jalapeno Corn Muffins and enjoy!

Print Recipe Here!


Zesty Jalapeno Corn Muffins

This is what you need for 12 muffins:-1-1/4 cup Flour
-1-1/4 cup Cornmeal
-2 tbsp Sugar
-1 tbsp Baking Powder
-1 tsp Salt
-1 tsp Ground Cumin
-1-1/4 cup Skim Milk
-1/2 cup chopped Red Bell Pepper
-1 diced unseeded Jalapeno (about 1/8 cup)
-3 tbsp melted Butter
-2 tbsp minced fresh Cilantro
-1 (8.5 oz) can of drained Whole-Kernel Corn

This recipe is so easy, you are going to love it!
First preheat your oven to 400 degrees and grease your muffin pan with butter or cooking spray.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and ground cumin. Stir it around a bit with your whisk to mix all the ingredients together. Then add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and stir it all to combine until just moistened.
Scoop the batter into the muffin pan about 3/4 full and bake for 20 minutes or until the toothpick inserted comes out clean. Place the muffin pan on a cooling wrack and allow to cool for 5 minutes before enjoying!
Serve with any Mexican or hearty dish for a fun side!
This recipe is featured in Menu Plan 11.

1 comment:

  1. What a great service & recipes you have Heather! And great post, Haley! :)

    ReplyDelete