Sunday, December 5, 2010

Broccoli Cheese Soup

I love Broccoli Cheese Soup. This is my go-to recipe when I have friends over for lunch or when I want to serve a light dinner to my family. One of these days I'm going to gather up the courage to attempt a homemade bread bowl to serve it in!


I've adapted this recipe from one by the Neely's on the food network website.

Broccoli Cheese Soup

printable recipe 

4 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 lb broccoli, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove minced fresh garlic
2 carrots, chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbsp flour
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup cream
cheddar cheese



Melt butter over medium-high heat in a large pot.



Add broccoli, onion, garlic, carrots, salt and pepper.



Sauté until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes.


Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, until the flour reaches a blonde color. Add stock and bring to a boil. Cover pot and simmer until broccoli is tender, about 15 minutes.

Pour soup into a blender, add cream and puree. Pour back into pot, add salt and pepper to taste and leave on low heat with lid on until ready to serve. Pour into bowl and serve with grated cheddar cheese on top.




This recipe is featured in Meal Plan: December 6-12.

No comments:

Post a Comment