Sunday, December 12, 2010

Spinach Quiche

"Real men don't eat Quiche," or so my dad liked to remind my mom whenever she would serve our family this meal. As the only man in a household of daughters, however, he was over-ruled and this recipe became a staple in our home. Apparently his favorite saying was actually a best-selling "guidebook to all that is truly masculine" from the eighties! Funny, huh? Take my quiz in the right sidebar to let me know what you think about this controversial topic.

Don't let your husband find out about this book, because quiche is yummy and we're making it today! This is a meatless recipe, but don't worry, any health benefits of skipping the meat is made up by the massive amounts of cheese we will be putting into the pie. It has spinach. So we're good.


Spinach Quiche
printable recipe 

1 (10 oz) box of frozen chopped spinach
1 onion (chopped)
1 Tbsp butter
1 (8 oz) can mushrooms
3 eggs
1/4 cup milk
2 cups Cheddar cheese (grated)
2 cups Swiss cheese (grated) 
1 baked store-bought pie crust or make your own

Cook spinach as directed on package. Let cool and drain. I found this was best done by placing spinach in a colander and squeezing the liquid out with a spoon.



Sauté onion in butter. 



Beat eggs and milk. 



Add cheese and other ingredients. Pour mixture into prepared pie pan. 



Bake approx. 35 minutes at 350F or until set.



Serve by the slice!











This recipe is featured in Meal Plan: Week of December 13-19.


 

2 comments:

  1. I think my boyfriend is a closet quiche lover. Whenever we go out for brunch and I order it, he always tries to sneak a bite "just to see what it tastes like." His "bite" ends up being the size of Texas. And he "doesn't like quiche?" Uh huh.

    As someone with not a lot of expendable income, I appreciate delicious meals without meat in them--and give me some protein. Plus, quiche can be served at any time of the day (in my book!). Thanks for this recipe, Heather. I'll be trying it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, you crack me up! That's too funny, it reminds me of the Friends episode where Joey's date keeps ordering salads then eating all of his fries. You just need to say, "Amy doesn't share food!" I hope you like the quiche, let me know if you try it. I also hope you like Friends, otherwise my little ramble just then probably seemed crazy, LOL.

    ReplyDelete