Thursday, December 2, 2010

Mini Meatloaf and Funeral Potatoes

Today we have a guest blogger: Julie of Real (Good) Cooking. Along with being my friend and almost relative (her cousin is married to my husband's sister, confused yet?), she is an awesome fellow food blogger! You may remember her Deep Dish Pizza that I made a couple of weeks ago. When I asked her for one of her favorite ground beef recipes, she was kind enough to share her Mini Meatloaf with me as well as suggest Funeral Potatoes for the side. Here are the recipes in Julie's words:

Mini Meatloaf

I got this recipe from the cooking class I took at BYU. I don't love meatloaf, but when I'm in the mood or have some ground beef I need to use this is my favorite technique because it is quick and I like the caramelized outside of the meatloaf the best and this allows for more surface area and therefore more caramelization.

Mini Meatloaf
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/4-1/2 tsp. salt and pepper each
1 egg
1-2 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup bread crumbs or quick oats (I prefer the bread crumbs)
ketchup

Mix all the ingredients together with your hands. (I find this is the best way to mix it evenly.) Shape into large golf-ball sized pieces and place in a muffin tin. Make an indentation in the middle of each one (see photo) to allow for even cooking. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. I usually end up cutting one open to see if it is done. Spread ketchup on the last 5-10 minutes. Serve with your favorite potato dish.

Funeral Potatoes

So confession, the meatloaf recipe was just an excuse to make funeral potatoes. This is my absolute favorite way to eat potatoes, except for maybe a really good French fry. I know everyone probably has a way to make funeral potatoes, but this is the way I do it. Such a guilty pleasure for me, more of a temptation than even most desserts.
Funeral Potatoes
10-12 good-sized potatoes (I usually use Russet)
1 can each of cream of chicken soup and cream of mushroom or 2 cans cream of mushroom
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1/2-3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
milk
bread crumbs (optional)

Boil, peel, and shred the potatoes. I usually use the shredder attachment on my food processor or I have used a cheese grater. While potatoes are boiling, mix the soups, sour cream, and seasonings. Add milk to the consistency you want. (I usually go for a consistency similar to mayonnaise; not too thick, but not too runny.) Stir in shredded potatoes. Spread the whole thing in a 9x13 casserole dish and top with bread crumbs if you'd like. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes or until edges are bubbly. Remove foil the last 10 minutes. You can also make in advance and keep in the refrigerator, but you will need to allow for 60-75 minutes  in the oven if the potatoes are cold.

2 comments:

  1. I am following you back. Thanks for stopping by.
    Wonder why these are called funeral potatoes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather! I had never seen the funeral potatoes before . . . but I must try them :-)

    Thanks for following my blog . . . I'm following you back.

    Have an awesome weekend . . . Gina

    http://ginasitaliankitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete