Thursday, December 2, 2010

Pasta e Fagioli



This recipe was given to me by my sister-in-law Katy, it is one of her family's favorites. Originally found on the food network website, it is a tasty soup perfect for cold winter nights. I like to serve this soup with French Bread, and although it is a meatless recipe you could easily add ground beef or pancetta if you would like.

Pasta e Fagioli
printable recipe

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 stalk celery
1 carrot, peeled
1 tablespoon dried basil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
Dash of red pepper flakes
1 can petite diced tomatoes
3 cups low sodium chicken stock or vegetable stock
1 can northern white beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup tiny pasta shells (ditalini)
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley (I used a couple of teaspoons of dried parsley)
Freshly grated Parmesan and black pepper for garnish



Chop celery, carrot, and garlic. Set aside.

Chop onion. I am a total wimp but just chopping that half of an onion made the tears flow. I couldn't help but think of Meryl Streep's character in Julie and Julia, chopping the whole pile of onions and crying when her husband comes home.



In a large heavy pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Stir in onion and cook for 2 minutes.



Stir in garlic, celery, and carrots and cook for 3 minutes.


Add dried basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes and toss to coat. I removed it from the heat briefly for this part so the bottom of the pan wouldn't burn.



Stir in tomatoes and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.


If necessary add an additional cup of water or stock and stir in beans and pasta.



Simmer for 6-8 minutes or until pasta is tender.



Stir in parsley and serve hot with grated parmesan and ground black pepper.








This recipe is featured in Meal Plan: Nov 29-Dec 5.

2 comments:

  1. I love, love, LOVE Pasta e Fagioli and {ironically} I have never made it. This has made it to next week's menu list. My husband will love me. ;)

    -Camberley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! That looks really good! I think I might have to try making that! Thanks for stopping by my blog & following me, I am now following you as well. I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete