Friday, December 17, 2010

Chicken Noodle Soup

So it's happened. I suppose it was bound to, sooner or later. It still makes me sad, though. See, I started this blog as a chance to share my favorite recipes, keep myself on track with menu planning, and try out some new recipes. Some of the recipes in my menu plans are my standards and a couple per week are new recipes that I want to try. I am pretty particular about what recipes I choose and, up until now, all of those new recipes have been great! For example, Keema, Antipasto Calzones, and Creamy Poppyseed Chicken were all new recipes when I put them on the menu and I thought they all turned out fantastic.



However, this week's Chicken Noodle Soup was a disappointment. It's not that it was inedible, it's just that the flavor was a bit off and it just wasn't a recipe I would like to try again, or even save the leftovers. Here is the link to the recipe if you'd like to take a crack at it, but I would like to suggest using your chicken carcass to make a more traditional chicken noodle soup:


Place the chicken carcass in stock pot and cover with water. Simmer, uncovered, for a couple of hours, until chicken is falling off the bone. Strain out bones and fat/foam. Stir in chopped carrots, celery and onion and add a Tbsp of chicken granules, salt, pepper, oregano, and basil (and any other desired seasonings) to taste. Add noodles, whatever kind you like in your soup. Cook for about 15 minutes, until pasta and veggies are tender.

This is just a basic soup base, you can add any additional vegetables or seasonings you would like. My husband even likes to add some Tabasco for a little kick!

5 comments:

  1. The picture looks inviting so I would be hard-pressed to imagine it tasting sub-par. I love this soup and, like you, have adapted my own recipe after trying others that didn't quite make it for me.
    Stopping by/commenting back from your visit to my blog - Positive Kismet...Thank you!
    I'm now a follower of your blog.
    Have a Happy Holiday Season!
    Best,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always a tad disappointing when recipes don't turn out quite like you expect them to. Trust me: been there, done that (i.e. my battle with mac & cheese). However, I find those recipes are sweetest when you finally conquer them. :)

    I've never heard of sweet potatoes and spinach in chicken noodle soup! It's a very interesting recipe, indeed. Give it one more try to see if you like it; you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies, I think what I didn't like was the balsamic vinegar. The veggies tasted great, but the balsamic was just a little weird (and I normally love balsamic). I think I will try it again at some point but leave out the the balsamic and add my own seasonings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm your newest follower. I don't think I've ever followed a recipe for chicken or turkey soup. I just throw the carcass in the slow cooker & season to taste.

    I have 2 giveaways going on if you're interested - one is ending tonight: We Don't Have It All Together

    ReplyDelete