Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Keema (Indian Spiced Ground Beef with Peas)

I have been inspired lately by my sister to try more Indian food, so I was pretty excited when I found this recipe on foodnetwork.com. Despite the word "Spiced" in the title, this was mild enough for even my toddler and picky preschooler to enjoy. I recommend pairing the Keema with Chapati (Indian Flatbread). You can either use the Chapati to scoop up the Keema or spoon Keema down the center of the Chapati and roll up like a burrito.


Keema


2 Tbsp canola oil
1 onion, minced
1 lb ground beef
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 large cloves garlic, minced
2 firm, ripe tomatoes, diced
1 Tbsp minced gingerroot, or 1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp Garam Masala (see below)
1 tsp minced fresh hot green chilies
1 cup frozen peas
1 lemon, juiced
2 to 3 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro, or to taste

Garam Masala substitute
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
a pinch of nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves

In a nonstick skillet set over moderately high heat, warm the oil until hot. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
Add the beef and salt and pepper to taste, and cook, stirring, until no longer pink.
Add the garlic, tomatoes, gingerroot, Garam Masala, and chilies, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
Add the peas and continue to cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes more, or until flavors blend.
Stir in the lemon juice and cilantro and correct seasoning, adding more salt if necessary. Transfer into a bowl and serve with warm Chapati or tortillas.
This recipe is featured in Meal Plan: December 6-12. 



2 comments:

  1. Yum, looks amazing! I'm so making this next week. Can I put in a request for samosas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes please. I would like a Samosa recipe!! So good, but I'd be afraid to try it unless my fearless sister did it first. Too many ways it could go wrong. Thanks for this recipe sis! I'm going to try it as soon as I can!!

    ReplyDelete